Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sewing Room Makeover

For most of my life, I have loved to sew but never had a sewing room due to space constraints. Back in college when I lived in a sketchy studio apartment by the train tracks (the good ol' days) I would precariously balance my classic Kenmore sewing machine on my bed and attempt to sew. It would bounce up and down and make an awful sound. My neighbors probably thought I was firing a gatling gun into my mattress... but they never seemed to inquire because sounds like that were common-place in that neighborhood.
   Many years later, my husband, son, and I lived in a 2-bedroom that had a large closet in the living room.  The closet became my sewing nook (or as my husband called it: "crafting cranny"). It was a good idea in theory, but largely impractical in practice as I would bang my elbows on the walls and suffer a great deal of claustrophobia. Not exactly the best creative environment. Especially for somebody with a busy Etsy shop to make orders for.  
Crafting Cranny
   Now, we have a house with 3 whole bedrooms... well... 2 whole bedrooms and a small office.  But... it's an actual room. And no matter how petite it is, IT'S ALL MINE. Over the last year, my sewing room has basically stayed in the state it was in since we moved... chaos. Boxes everywhere. And that delightful taupe-baby-poo-mustard-brown color on the walls that I have mentioned in previous posts.
BEFORE: dark, cluttered, and gloomy


Now finally.... after all of these years of having to compromise one of the things in my life that is most important... I have a sewing room that makes me happy! 
AFTER: Ta Dah!!!
Baby-poo walls have been replaced by crisp, white, bead board. Too-small sewing desk has been sold on Craigslist, and the money made was used to purchase wood and create a rustic sawhorse table (tutorial on that HERE)
Sawhorse Desk

My darling husband helped me hardwire a fantastic industrial light in place of the pre-existing "nipple" light.  

And some chalkboard paint for fun and writing down supplies:

Inexpensive Ikea spice racks and mason jars make great storage 

The little room feels suddenly larger, breathable, and calming. After 20 years of sewing, I finally have a creative space that is all mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment